While we’re facing an unprecedented moment in history, one that feels scary and uncertain, it’s important to remember to take a deep breath and care for your own well-being. We’re only our best when we feel our best, and although daily life has changed for many of us, it doesn’t mean we need to sacrifice our mental or our physical health. As we navigate this new normal, we’ll be posting our favorite tips and tricks for how to stay positive, happy and healthy. Like most things in life, we must remember this too shall pass, and that we’re all in it together. Below, you’ll find our favorite tips for practicing selfcare during self-quarantine.
1. Go Outside
Vitamin D does the mind, body and soul wonders, boosts brain function, is great for your bones, and helps protect against a myriad of diseases. Even though we should avoid crowded spaces and continue to practice social distancing, it’s important to get out of the house and get fresh air and sunshine. Go for a run, walk the dog, or bring a book outside and catch some rays. You’ll feel happier, more refreshed and healthier (just don’t forget the sunscreen!).
2. Get Ready
Sure, in this new reality you probably won’t be seeing many people on a day-to-day basis, but keeping a routine is more important than you might realize. It gives some sense of normalcy, as well as an excuse to change out of the sweatpants you slept in (even if it’s into a new pair). Keep your alarm set for your usual time, make a healthy breakfast, get the coffee going, put on your work attire (whatever that may be) and kick off your day on the right foot.
To many of us, selfcare means going to the gym, yoga, pilates, etc. Now that gyms are starting to shutter their doors, we need to get creative with how we get a sweat in. Luckily, there are tons of free resources to get your daily endorphins in. Here’s a few of our favorites:
- Peleton App – You don’t need to own a bike or treadmill to take advantage of their free 90-day trial. Between strength training, yoga and stretching, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
- Fitness Blender – This couple has hundreds of free workout videos on their website, and allows you to filter by category, length, difficulty and more. With so much to choose from, you’ll never get bored.
- Tone It Up – These fitness gurus are allowing new users a free 30-day trial. Choose from 10-40 minute on-demand videos as well as live classes.
- P.vovle – This unique workout is easy to do from the comfort of your home. Take advantage of their 30 days of free streaming and live classes!
- Run! – Running is always free and accessible. It’s also a great excuse to get out of the house!
4. Keep Up Your Beauty Routine
Social distancing is no reason to let your beauty routine slide! While full-on glam may no longer be necessary, it’s a great excuse to give yourself a little extra love. Whether it’s face masking, hair masking, painting your nails, applying your lash serum or brow serum, or practicing your skincare routine (morning and night), there’s no reason to quit beautifying. In fact, let’s make it a goal to emerge from self-quarantine with silky hair, glowing skin, and gorgeous lashes and brows.
5. Check in with Your Friends
Group get togethers may not be possible at the moment, but it doesn’t mean you can’t see your friends. Utilize the FaceTime, Zoom, or other video conferencing apps to check in and “hang out”. It may not feel that different from a phone call, but seeing friendly faces helps to boost your mood and makes you feel a little more connected.
It’s easy to let anxiety get the best of you when we’re facing so much unknown. Meditation has been proven to help control stress, reduce anxiety, enhance self-awareness and promote emotional health. Wondering where to start? Here are a few apps we’re loving:
- Headspace – Headspace is the gold standard of meditation apps and offers a free trial. Perfect for beginners or experts, they have a myriad of categories and levels to choose from, including specific meditations for living during coronavirus.
- Oak – Earn badges by doing meditations and receive daily inspirational quotes. This unique app allows you to customize your daily meditation, from topic, time, background sound, and more!
- Insight Timer – This app has over 35,000 meditations to choose from, with a ton of them being free!
Stay tuned for more tips and tricks on getting through this difficult time. And remember, we’re all in this together!