If healthy, luxurious hair is your goal, then you need to get to the root of the issue: your scalp. Just like plants need the right soil environment to thrive, hair depends on a healthy scalp to look its strongest and shiniest. And scalp problems can affect the appearance of your hair for the worse.
So how do you ensure your scalp is nourished, balanced, and helping your hair perform to its fullest potential? Here, we’ll take a closer look at what defines a healthy (or unhealthy) scalp, and how to nurture your scalp and hair with the right products and ingredients.
Is Your Scalp Healthy?
Before we delve into the ins and outs of scalp health, let's define what it entails. A healthy scalp is characterized by balanced sebum production, good blood circulation, and a strong skin barrier function. It is free from excessive oiliness, dryness, itchiness, and flakiness. A healthy scalp provides an ideal environment for hair to thrive, without clogged pores or heavy buildup.
Signs of an Unhealthy Scalp
An unhealthy scalp can manifest through various symptoms that should not be ignored. Some common signs include:
- Dryness and Flakiness: If you notice excessive dryness, itching, and flaking, it may indicate an imbalanced scalp that lacks proper hydration.
- Excessive Oiliness: On the other end of the spectrum, an oily scalp may lead to greasy hair, clogged follicles, and an environment prone to bacterial growth.
- Scalp Irritation and Sensitivity: Redness, inflammation, and tenderness are indicators of an irritated or sensitive scalp, which can negatively impact hair.
- Dandruff and Scalp Buildup: Dandruff, characterized by white or yellow flakes, and scalp buildup can hinder hair health and appearance.
If your scalp issues are bothersome, your best bet is to visit a dermatologist to rule out more serious conditions (such as scalp psoriasis) and to help you find the best treatment plan.
Benefits of a Healthy Scalp
In short, a healthy scalp equals healthy hair. But the specific benefits of treating your scalp right are many, and include:
- Stronger Hair: A nourished scalp promotes stronger, more resilient strands from root to tip.
- Improved Hair Texture and Shine: A healthy scalp provides the ideal environment for your hair to retain moisture, resulting in softer, smoother, and shinier locks.
- Reduced Scalp Issues: Maintaining a healthy scalp can minimize common issues such as dandruff, itchiness, and excessive oiliness. You’ll feel more comfortable and confident as a result.
Ready to Improve Your Scalp Health? Start Here.
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to get down to the business of nourishing your scalp. Try these easy ways to get a healthy scalp…and start seeing healthier-looking hair:
Cleanse your scalp regularly (but not excessively). Sebum and styling products can create buildup on your scalp, throwing it out of balance and clogging pores. Shampooing regularly (preferably with a shampoo that offers scalp benefits) will help keep buildup at bay. Exactly how regularly will depend on your hair type—thin, oily hair will require more frequent cleansing than dry, thick, or textured hair types—and your lifestyle. If you hit the gym daily or use dry shampoo between washes, buildup can happen faster. Just take care to avoid over-washing your hair, which can exacerbate a dry scalp.
Feed your scalp—literally. Some of the best foods for scalp health include those rich in vitamins, antioxidants and/or fatty acids, like fatty fish, nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables. These foods promote overall hair and scalp wellness.
Nourish your scalp with the right ingredients. The best ingredients for scalp health include ones that gently exfoliate to reduce buildup, like willow bark; protective antioxidants, like green tea extract and ginseng; and conditioning ingredients, including camellia, gingko biloba, and panthenol.
Pamper your scalp with the best shampoo, conditioner, and other products. We created the formulas in our Volumizing Hair Collection with scalp health in mind. Our Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner feature therapeutic ingredients to optimize scalp health (willow bark, green tea extract, ginseng) while fortifying and hydrating hair. Our physician-developed Volume Enhancing Foam aids in conditioning of the scalp and also conditions, strengthens, and softens hair with BioPeptin Complex®, the same proprietary technology found in our best-selling RevitaLash® Advanced serum. Try the easy, 3-step regimen—your scalp and hair will thank you.
RevitaLash® Advanced not available in CA.