As we all adjust to this new normal, we’ve begun to restructure our routines and rethink our daily schedules. From what we’re wearing to how we’re de-stressing, quarantine has been a complete game changer for most of us. We spoke with 5 women to hear about their daily routines, how they’re spending their time and what brings them comfort amidst the chaos.
I have been quarantining with my family and our golden retriever, Theo. I’ve been spending my time cooking, baking, spring cleaning, planting summer vegetable seeds, reading, working on new blog posts, and trying to create new content.
My favorite time of day is dinner time, when I pour a glass of wine and start cooking. I used to go the farmers markets a few times a week to get ingredients, but since quarantining I have been picking up a farm box once a week to support my local farmers who are being hit hard these days. You don’t get to choose what is in the box, but it has been creatively challenging to cook with unfamiliar ingredients and use what I have in my pantry.
- Staub Cast-Iron Dutch Oven: I recently invested in a dutch oven and I have been using it nonstop to make everything from chicken stock, big batches of homemade tomato sauce and meatballs, and even baking bread in it.
- Jenni Kayne Eco Set: Since I usually work from home, I am no stranger to a good loungewear set. Lately I have been wearing my Jenni Kayne Eco Set which is made out of recycled materials and super soft!
- Martha Steward Cold Remedy: I have been trying to boost my immune system by taking liquid vitamin C, vitamin D, elderberry syrup and drinking ginger lemon tea. It is Martha’s recipe and it combines water, a whole lemon, fresh ginger, and a little brown sugar that you simmer on the stove for 30 minutes. I drink it all day long, hot or cold. It is soothing, spicy and sweet, and delicious.
- RevitaBrow Advanced Eyebrow Conditioner: It has been nice to give skin a break from wearing makeup, I have been focusing much more on skincare doing a Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask for some glow in the day, and at night using my RevitaBrow Advanced, so at least my brows are on point when I am not wearing any makeup around the house.
- Calypso - David Sedaris: Somedays I need to shut off the news and have a laugh. I just finished listening to David Sedaris’ latest book, Calypso. I highly recommend listening to him read the book as he is a brilliant performer of his own satires. I was laughing out loud throughout the entire book.
My quarantine days always start with a cup of coffee, steel cut oats and a ten-minute stretch. I've found that stretching really wakes me up (in addition to the coffee, of course) and gives me that post workout feeling without all the sweat. However, I think it's really important to still get our sweat sessions in during this time. I admittedly have fallen in love with the live workouts that have taken over Instagram.
My husband usually travels for work, so it's been really nice having him home. Yes, there are times when it can get a little crowded, but we make it work. He takes calls from the living room and I'll take my calls from the bedroom. It’s all about getting on a schedule.
While some days go by slower than others, we've managed to stay pretty busy with all things considered. We make sure to get out of the house for a walk with a point to stay out for at least an hour. This allows us to reset, and it's given us a new appreciation for the outdoors & fresh air. Two things we never really thought about before.
I most look forward to these walks, my stretches and home workouts, and of course binge- watching Ozark and a glass of wine at the end of the day.
- Voluspa Baltic Amber Candle: The scent smells like warm vanilla goodness and immediately makes our home feel cozy.
- It Cosmetics CC Cream: My go-to quarantine foundation. It feels like I'm wearing nothing and gives me the perfect amount of coverage. Plus, I love that it has SPF 50 built-in, so I have protection during my daily walks.
- Flahavan's Steel Cut Oats: My new favorite oats for my morning breakfast! Boil for 4 minutes and top with berries, cinnamon and coconut shreds for healthy, hearty breakfast that keeps you full through lunch and powers you up for your daily workouts!
- Green Girl Plant Based Ice-Cream Sandwiches: Holy moly these are good! Dairy free, gluten free, soy free goodness. The perfect treat at the end the day.
- AGF Olive Crop Pullover: The perfect light weight sweater in my favorite color. It’s comfy, cozy, and perfect for walks or working on the couch. True story: I haven't taken this off in 10 days ;)
I’ve been spending these past few weeks at home with my fiancé David and my kitty, Pepper! I usually work from my own home office anyways, so the days during the week have been pretty routine. To help make the evenings and weekends a little less mundane we’ve been doing a lot of cooking, FaceTime happy hours with friends, working out and taking walks in the neighborhood on the days when it’s sunny--at a distance from others, of course!
- Apple AirPods Pro: I like to work in complete silence, and my fiancé usually has a ton of calls throughout the day for work. Needless to say, he isn’t the most soft-spoken—so these help me to stay focused!
- Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack Face Mask: This detoxifying mask is my absolute favorite and has always been a saving grace. Skincare is super important to me, and with all the cookies, brownies and other sweet treats I’ve been indulging in, this helps to keep me from breaking out.
- RevitaLash Cosmetics Hi-Def Brow Gel: I’ve been makeup-free for the most part, but when I’m on a video chat with friends or colleagues, this gel helps to keep my brows in place and enhance my no-makeup look.
- My Journal: I love journaling, it’s always been a great release. Especially during such uncertain times. I like to write down what I’m grateful for, my wins for the day, and manifestations for the future to help keep optimism alive.
- 24 Shades Of Business: Adult Coloring Book: For those moments when I need a complete break from digital, I’ve been coloring! It’s something I started doing a few months ago and is perfect for times like these. It’s been a nice mental escape and way to tap into my creativity.
This quarantine has really been a wild ride! I’ve been quarantining at home with my son, daughter, and husband. I’ve been spending lots of time trying new recipes in the kitchen or working out in the backyard. Organizing has been therapeutic for me, and my house has never looked so good! On the flip side, the screen time on my phone has been embarrassing.
Having to temporarily shut down my business and stop seeing clients has been extremely tough. However, I don’t focus on the negative, and I know that this too shall pass!
- Loungewear: Sweatpants, leggings and cozy sets have been my go-to outfits in quarantine. I love being able to look cute yet still feel super cozy in my house. By the end of this, it’s going to be hard to transition back to jeans!
- RevitaLash Cosmetics Hi-Def Brow Pencil and Hi-Def Brow Gel: Even though I’m only seeing my family, I still like my brows to look good. It makes me feel more put together and sets the tone for the day! I love this brow duo from RevitaLash Cosmetics. They are easy to use and allow me to create a perfect brow in just a couple minutes.
- Skin Magician Daily Protection Tinted Mineral Sunscreen: This is one of the newest additions to my line, and it’s also one of my favorites! It’s the perfect base for quarantine – lightweight coverage with SPF.
- Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis: This is the perfect quarantine read – super motivating and inspiring when it’s hard to feel motivated and inspired.
- Diffuser: My diffuser is going at all times because my house HAS to smell good.
I’m spending my time in quarantine at home with my family, dogs and cats. Life now is busier than ever – navigating the business while taking care of employees and my family feels like running a marathon at times. I’m finding peace in our daily walks and spending quality time with my daughters before I become an empty nester.
- Monopoly Deal: Instead of watching television (don’t need the added stress!) we’re playing more games as a family which allows us to connect on a richer level. Our favorites have been the card game version of Monopoly called Monopoly Deal. Everyone knows the game of Monopoly can take days to complete, but the card game allows all the same fun, in less than 25 minutes. Game time provides a lot of laughter which is a fabulous stress reliever.
- Walking: Taking an evening walk (following all social distancing guidelines) with my family has been very comforting during this time. Getting out and moving while seeing neighbors (from afar) provides me with a sense of connection, knowing that we’re all dealing with the same thing and I’m not alone. It’s become a tradition in how we transition our day and decompress from the stress we’re all feeling.
- Online shopping: This is helping me feel connected - and giving me something to look forward to – and from what my friends are telling me, I’m not alone. At a time when things feel very uncertain, I find comfort in knowing something is for sure - and so far, packages are arriving when they say they’re going to and that is helping to provide a bit of reassurance for me that the world is still moving forward. One of my favorite purchases is my new journal by Ancicraft. It’s got this very medieval vibe with its rich leather binding and rustic feeling iron lock and key, which seems very fitting. Writing my thoughts down at the end of the day is proving to be a great way to offload any left over anxiety.
- RevitaBrow Advanced Eyebrow Conditioner & Double-Ended Volume Set – I’m using this time at home to focus on the health and beauty of my brows, and I’m really seeing the benefits of RevitaBrow Advanced, especially as I’m finding myself with even less time to get camera ready. Every morning, I apply one swipe to each clean, dry brow and follow with a couple coats of my favorite Double-Ended Volume set on my lashes. I’m Zoom-ready in minutes, which is a must since things seem to be busier than ever!