While there’s no replacement for the skilled hands of a professional, DIY beauty treatments you can do at home are a great way to maintain your brows, hair, and skin between salon and spa visits. Plus, being your own beauty guru is an incredibly fun way to spend a relaxing night in.
Here are a few ideas to help you give yourself the royal treatment from the comfort of your own bathroom.
When your skin deserves an extra dose of pampering – say, before a big event or after a stressful workweek – take your regular routine to the next level by mimicking the steps of a treatment facial.
- Double-Cleanse: Start with a face wash suited to your skin type (foaming for oily or combination types; moisturizing for dry skin), and massage into skin using a circular motion. Follow up with a gentle micellar water cleanser, such as Micellar Water Lash Wash, to remove remaining traces of dirt, oil, and makeup.
- Exfoliate: Use a physical exfoliator (i.e. a scrub) or an exfoliating solution (such as one with glycolic or lactic acid) to remove dead skin cells. This will allow the products you use to absorb effortlessly and work more efficiently.
- Tone: Using a cotton pad, swipe on a gentle toner to rebalance your skin’s pH and to prep skin for a deeper treatment. Avoid toners with alcohol – they can be drying.
- Face Mask: At this point, it’s important to understand your skin type and what it needs. If your skin is dry, use a moisturizing mask. Breaking out? Try a clay mask. In need of a little extra glow? A brightening mask is the ticket.
- Moisturize: Once your skin is cleansed, exfoliated, toned, and treated, it’s time to lock in all that goodness with a moisturizer.
Brow Care & Shaping
When it comes to brow grooming, the most important thing is keeping brows healthy and strong. We always recommend using a brow serum, like RevitaBrow® Advanced, to deliver essential nutrients like biotin and peptides directly to the brows.
If your brows (and lashes) are dry or damaged – or you simply want to treat them to a luxurious indulgence – try our Lash & Brow Masque. This ultra-reparative treatment infuses each hair with an immediate dose of hydration and nutrients. Apply the masque, wait 15 minutes, and rinse with water. Your brows will be softer, shinier, and more flexible than ever.
Once brows have a strong foundation, it’s time to shape and groom. Knowing which hairs you should tweeze and which ones you should leave makes all the difference when it comes to the perfect brow shape:
- The inside of the brow should align with the bridge of the nose.
- The arch should peak above the outside of the iris and lie on the brow bone.
- The outside of the brow aligns from the bottom of the nose to the outer corner of the eye. Use a pencil held diagonally to find the right spot.
Remember, when in doubt, it’s better to tweeze too little than too much. Also, we highly recommend you ditch your magnifying mirror. No one – we repeat, no one, will ever look at you that closely.
A Salon-Worthy Blowout
Try these easy beauty hacks for a DIY blowout as shiny and voluminous as you’d get at the salon:
- Start with the right shampoo and conditioner. For fuller-looking hair, choose thickening formulas (like our Thickening Shampoo and Thickening Conditioner) that include therapeutic, nourishing ingredients. Healthy hair = shiny hair. Tip: For an added boost, finish with a targeted hair treatment, such as a hair mask.
- Prep your damp hair. Our Volume Enhancing Foam intensifies hair’s natural volume while strengthening strands and conditioning your scalp. Use it alone on towel dried hair, or follow it with additional styling products.
- Choose the right brush. A round brush with natural boar bristles will help you create sky-high volume while minimizing damage to your hair.
- Angle your dryer. Always point the nozzle of your hair dryer towards the ends of your hair. This technique helps to fight frizz and create shine.
Now that you’ve got a gameplan, let the DIY beauty treatments begin – and enjoy your all-over glow.